The beginnings of the commercial fishery in Georgian Bay are shrouded in mystery. No less so the origin of fishing in the vicinity of Cabot Head. Reference is found in the papers of the provincial Crown Lands Department for 1859 to a “lessee of Cabot’s Head Fishery,” but no details are given.
Thereafter the official record is entirely silent, in part because the returns of the Cabot Head fishermen were combined with those of the rest of the east coast of the Bruce Peninsula.
The full potential of Wingfield Basin was finally realized in 1900 when Captain Pankhurst Meneray, of Lion’s Head, established an extensive fishery on the west point of land overlooking the entrance.
Meneray Fishing and Ice Camps diorama
At 13:00hr on Saturday, July 16th. The Friends of Cabot Head hosted the unveiling of the Meneray Fishing and Ice Camps diorama. Along with Board members of the Friends of Cabot Head, Mayor Milt McIver and Bonnie McIver, visitors and a large number of the Meneray family were present at the unveiling.